Being involved in a car accident can be extremely unsettling but it’s very important to collect and provide the right information to the other party. In order to help you remember what information you need, check out the below tips on what to collect at a car accident scene.
Before you start swapping details, firstly remember to ‘Be Safe’. Make sure no one is injured, and the vehicles are in the safest place possible.
- Collect The Other Driver’s Details
- Take a photo of their driver’s licence
- Check back of driver’s licence to ensure you have their most recent address
- Insurance Information – who their insured with, what type of cover, claim number
- Who’s the registered owner of their vehicle? If the owner is someone else, get the owner’s information
- Retrieve evidence from the scene
Take photos of:
- Accident scene
- Damage to all vehicles involved
- Get witness details (if any)
- Note the date, time and location of accident
- If the accident is serious and police are required:
- Collect police event number
- Police officer’s name & contact number